Deciding on the Perfect Kitchen Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Perhaps one the most eye-catching features of any kitchen design are the countertops. Regardless of whether you like the country chic that seems to be so prevalent, hints of Old World elegance, or have embraced the sleek, straight lines of the modern kitchen, the countertops are sure to be a key factor in the design. After all, this where the magic begins.
Sure, it is important to have all the right elements such as the stove of your preference, great lighting and comfortable seating, but keep in mind that the kitchen countertops can make the space inviting or make it feel crowded and impersonal. So, how do you select the counters that will send the message you want? Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Think about your lifestyle. If you have little ones, you might not want to invest in granite countertops with angled edges. Sure the kids won’t always be little, but minimizing injury risk is always a plu. Besides, granite countertops have so many edge choices, you can be sure to find one that works for your lifestyle.
- Consider your style. When it comes to options like granite, the color potential is pretty extensive, but the finish is typically limited to either a polished finish that can slightly darken the shade of the granite slab, or a honed finish that results in a softer matte. Deciding on how prominent you want the kitchen countertops to be will help.
- Resale Value is important. While you may think that this is your forever home, that might not be the case. Be sure to choose countertops that will create a visually appealing space for any potential buyers. Kitchen countertops like quarts, granite and other natural stones will always add value and beauty.
- Consider the amount of maintenance required. Sure, laminate requires little to no maintenance, but its resale value is lower. Most natural stones will require resealing, but this is a small investment to make when you think about beauty, practicality and resale value.
- Think about the other colors in your kitchen. Keep in mind things like wall and floor color, cabinetry and appliances, and choose kitchen counters that compliment them. With granite being available in so many colors, finding one that works with your color scheme can be accomplished – you might just need to take a day to visit local showrooms.
Choosing the perfect counters for your dream kitchen doesn’t have to be stressful. Keep these tips in mind, then take time to visit a few different showrooms. Ask questions, and keep your design concept, comfort, and of course colors, in mind and in no time at all you will have kitchen you have always wanted.