231 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761 info@givingpress.com 808.123.4567

Tag: accused

18,000 elderly people have died of COVID-19 in British care homes and now Boris Johnson’s government is being accused of human rights abuse



a man and a woman standing in front of a mirror: Care worker Sarah Cox helps fix care home resident, Patricia Taylor's hair on May 6, 2020 in Borehamwood, England Getty


© Getty
Care worker Sarah Cox helps fix care home resident, Patricia Taylor’s hair on May 6, 2020 in Borehamwood, England Getty

  • The death of thousands of COVID-19 in British care homes was a violation of their human rights, according to Amnesty International.
  • The human rights organization has now called for the public inquiry, promised by the government in July, to begin immediately. 
  • The report also raised particular concerns about the inappropriate use of “do not attempt resuscitation” (DNAR) orders issued on a blanket basis in care homes.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

More than 18,000 untested elderly people died of COVID-19 in British care homes in what a damning new report from Amnesty International has described as a violation of their human rights.

Between March and June, over 28,116 “excess deaths” were recorded in care homes in England, with 18,500 of them confirmed to have been

Read More

Google contractor accused of offshoring jobs in retaliation for union campaign

Google contractors who recently unionized say their jobs are being slowly shipped to Poland. On Thursday, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) filed a complaint laying out the allegations against HCL America, an engineering and IT contractor that works with Google in Pittsburgh.

Obtained by Motherboard, the complaint argues the jobs are being outsourced in retaliation for legitimate union activity. In particular, the NLRB says the conduct took place “because employees formed, joined and assisted the Union and engaged in concerted activities, and to discourage employees from engaging in these activities.”

None of the affected workers are legal employees of Google, but they specialize in engineering and IT tasks for HCL. The contractors voted to unionize in 2019, organizing under the United Steelworkers union. According to the complaint, the company has failed to bargain with the newly formed unit and has transferred work previously undertaken by the team to

Read More

27 Unlicensed Contractors Accused Of Fraud: Hillsborough Sheriff

SUN CITY CENTER, FL — Twenty-seven unlicensed contractors were arrested in Sun City Center by the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office during a 10-day sting, authorities said. The suspects include a high-risk sexual offender among those arrested in a crackdown on home remodel scams.

Each suspect faces charges of unlawful acts while in the capacity of a contractor.

Deputies said the undercover operation was conducted from Sept. 21 through Oct. 2 in an area where many elderly residents often fall victim to cons and scams, including construction fraud.

A high-risk sexual offender and unlicensed contractor, Keith Hall, 49, was among the 27 men arrested, investigators said.

Hall was currently on GPS-monitored felony probation after being convicted of lewd and lascivious molestation on a victim 12 to 15 years of age, lewd and lascivious molestation on a victim less than 16 years of age and promoting sexual performance of a child when

Read More

Muncie man accused of confining DCS contractor

CLOSE

Michael Hoover (Photo: Photo provided)

MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie man is accused of refusing to allow a contractor for the Indiana Department of Child Services to leave his home.

Michael G. Hoover, 34, was arrested Saturday, preliminarily charged with criminal confinement, battery and interference with the Department of Child Services.

A woman “who works with a company through (DCS)” told Delaware County sheriff’s deputies when she went to Hoover’s home — in the 3700 block of North Harvest Drive — on Friday, he was engaged in activity that violated an agreement with DCS.

Court documents did not specify what that behavior was.

After she told Hoover she would have to report the incident to her supervisor, she said, he grabbed a back pack she was wearing and pulled her back into his residence. She said he then blocked her access to steps on a porch for three to

Read More

Defense contractor who gave to Susan Collins accused of defrauding her business loan program

A Hawaii defense contractor who has donated to U.S. Sen. Susan Collins and whose business operates in Maine faces federal charges alleging he defrauded the Paycheck Protection Program, the small business loan program championed by the senator.

Martin Kao, the CEO of Martin Defense Group, formerly known as Navatek LLC, allegedly inflated the number of his employees his business had and how much they made to get a $10 million loan, then deposited $2 million into his personal bank account, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Hawaii on Tuesday.

He then allegedly applied for a second loan. Kao, 47, is set to make an initial appearance in federal court in Honolulu on Thursday, according to U.S. Attorney Kenji M. Price’s office. He is facing two charges of bank fraud and five charges of money laundering.

The defense contracting company, headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii, said it

Read More

Hawaii defense contractor accused of $12.8M in fraud coronavirus PPP loans

A Hawaii defense contractor has been charged with bank fraud and money laundering for stealing more than $12.8 million in Paycheck Protection Program money meant to assist businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic, federal authorities alleged Wednesday.

Martin Kao, CEO of Martin Defense Group LLC, formerly known as Navatek LLC, transferred more than $2 million into his own personal accounts, a criminal complaint said.

Kao also submitted at least two fraudulent loan applications, authorities said.

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

“According to the charges, Kao falsely inflated the number of employees on the loan application and falsely certified that the applicant and its affiliates would not receive, and had not received, another PPP loan,” the U.S. attorney’s office in Hawaii said in a statement.

Congress authorized the Paycheck Protection Program, known as PPP, in March to provide emergency financial assistance to those suffering economic effects of the pandemic through

Read More

Contractor Romeo Sanchez accused of planting hidden cameras in 2 homes in Paramus, Wayne, New Jersey

PARAMUS, New Jersey (WABC) — A contractor in New Jersey is accused of planting cameras in at least two families’ bathrooms.

Romeo Sanchez, 47, was arrested and charged on Sept. 17 with invasion of privacy.

Officials say a resident in Paramus noticed a suspicious electronic device in their bathroom on Aug. 25.

ALSO READ | 2-year-old boy finds loaded handgun in New Jersey playground

The device was later determined to be a micro camera with a memory card that was secreted into the bathroom wall.

The resident told police they hired Sanchez to replace a window in their home. Sanchez did not finish the job and told the homeowner he would return at a later date and time to finish.

Detectives found several video clips of the victim’s bathroom and other video clips of a bathroom at an unknown residence when they examined the memory card.

Sanchez admitted to police

Read More

Former top official with HISD accused of taking kickbacks from contractor, according to court records

HOUSTON – An FBI raid of the headquarters of Houston Independent School District and the home of then-Chief Operating Officer Brian Busby in February stemmed from allegations that Busby was taking kickbacks from a district contractor, according to a document filed in court.

Federal agents descended on the district’s administration building and Busby’s home on Feb. 27 to conduct a “court-authorized law enforcement activity at the Hattie Mae White, HISD Administration Building.”

In a civil forfeiture complaint filed by an assistant U.S. attorney, federal investigators accuse Busby of conspiring to pay an unnamed contractor for work performed by district employees in exchange for kickbacks. A total of $90,150 in cash was seized from Busby’s home in February, as well as $95,874 in cash from the home and vehicle of the contractor, court records reveal.

The contractor owns a lawn company that has done work for HISD since 2016. The filing

Read More

Defenders: Apex Construction accused of theft

Several families in the KVUE viewing area contacted the KVUE Defenders with complaints about Apex Construction.

AUSTIN, Texas — Imagine spending most of your savings to make your dream home complete, only to have your contractor take your money and run.

The KVUE Defenders talked to several people in the Austin area who say that’s what the same contractor did to them. Our investigation uncovered they are not alone.

“We had saved up many years to get these things done to the house,” Sheryl Smart, a former Apex Construction customer, said.

All of these women have one thing in common: They hired the same contractor, who accepted payments and did not do the job.

“You know, I want to be able to look out my window and enjoy what I see,” Aileen Albert said. “And right now, I cry.”

Albert decided to put a pool in her backyard. She found

Read More

Man accused of killing couple won’t go to grand jury until October

CLOSE

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Last SlideNext Slide

STUART — It could run into the holidays before a grand jury is seated to determine whether to indict a handyman accused of killing a Port Salerno couple inside their home.

Johnny Joseph Manord, 55, of the 5400 block of Southeast Jack Avenue, was arrested on two counts of first-degree murder and one charge of aggravated burglary Sept. 9 regarding the Aug. 26 slayings of Donald Smith, 81, and his wife Lorraine, 80. He is in the Martin County Jail.

Manord accepted a plea deal, taking the death penalty off the table, and has agreed to serve three consecutive life sentences, said Tom Bakkedahl, chief assistant state attorney for the 19th Judicial Circuit that includes the Treasure Coast and Okeechobee County.

The next step in the legal process requires prosecutors to seek a capital murder indictment from a Martin County grand

Read More