5 Tips When Hiring A Home Renovation Contractor
In today’s rough economy, some people would probably say that a home improvement is an expensive project that they can do without. But for some, now is the best time for a home make-over.
If you are thinking of renovating your home, you need to consider hiring a contractor. However, you need to remember that not all contractors will give you quality service for a competitive price. If you are not careful enough you might find someone who will charge exorbitant rates for low quality work. Thus, it is crucial that you spend enough time in choosing the right contractor that will remodel your most valuable property, your home.
Here are the things that you should consider when hiring a contractor for your home renovation project.
1. License. If a contractor is able to show you a license, it suggests that he is professional and reputable. Although, a license may not guarantee that he will do the job efficiently, you can have a background check with the local authorities if there have been any complaints against the services of the license holder.
2. Experience – You can always give new contractors a chance. However, it may not be a wise move to make. It is most likely that you will benefit from a contractor who has years of experience in doing the type of home renovation that you are planning to have. An experienced contractor can also give you a couple of names and contact numbers of some of his previous clients. This will enable you to have a background check on his professionalism and quality of service.
3. Referrals – If a contractor has been referred to you by some of your trusted friends or you have read a couple of positive testimonies or reviews about his services, it is likely that you will be satisfied with his services as well.
4. Insurance – You need to find a contractor who is responsible enough to get his own insurance. Every professional builder must possess a property damage and personal liability insurance. Otherwise, you will be held financially responsible in case accidents or damages occur in the work area.
5. Written estimate – A detailed written quote will help you save a lot of money in the future. Make sure to ask the contractor to make his written estimate as detailed as possible and it should total to the amount he plans to collect for the job. If the quote is good enough for you, you can create an official contract for your protection.
When you are hiring a contractor whether for a kitchen renovation or a bathroom renovation, you should be really cautious. If the contractor asks for an upfront payment for the entire job or if he is pressuring you to acquire a loan from a specific lender, you should rethink your options.