Are you a California Contractor in Compliance?

Did you know that there could be 20 or more City, County, State & Federal agencies that you need to contact, enroll, register or license with in order to do business as a Contractor in California?

Having worked in Government for over 10 years, I see first hand and on a daily basis the number of businesses that are not completely in compliance and are basically working illegally.

Can it be a hassle to comply with every law, regulation and requirement? You bet. But what will happen if you find yourself in a courtroom because of a client that has decided to squeeze you due to job performance or contractual issues? What will happen if you haven’t crossed those T’s and dotted those I’s? The outcome may not be to your satisfaction! Not only do you run the risk of losing in court, but you may be required by the court to now obtain all of the proper permits and licenses, permits and licenses that may have kept you out of court in the first place.

There are many facets to doing business as a Contractor these days. The Contractors State License Board has a laundry list of regulations to follow just so you can do what you love doing. But there are also so many other laws that come into play. City license, County license, State license, Fictitious business name, Sellers permit, the EDD, Franchise Tax Board and the list goes on.

Furthermore, the specific trade you perform can dictate what types of licenses and permits you are required to obtain. Are you a painter working with solvents? Or a concrete contractor dealing with leftover caustic cement products? If you are, then you will most likely need specific permits to be able to dispose of these hazardous materials.

So… are you confused as to what agencies you need to contact? What licenses and permits you need to do business legally in California? If you are, Contractor University can help. Contact us with your City, County and Specific Trade and we will compile a list of Agencies for you to review.

You can’t afford NOT to do business legally in California.