Checklist for Hiring a Painting Contractor
Hiring a painting contractor will certainly take the stress out of your house painting task. This decision of yours will make a huge difference in your house painting and other home improvement activities. Professional paint job protects your home or property from harsh weathers for years to come; it makes your home more desirable. Not to forget, great paint finish increases your property value.
Painting contractors have the necessary skills and experience to complete your painting task efficiently and effectively. But finding the right contractor needs your careful consideration. Please refer to the checklist below for hiring the right contractor for your painting project.
Checklist for hiring a painting contractor
- Do they have a valid license to perform the painting task?
- Do they guarantee their work and their products?
- How long have they been in painting business?
- Do they have insurance?
- Do they subcontract their work or they perform everything themselves?
- What type of products do they use?
- Do they use safe paints?
- Do they perform a drug test and background check on their employees?
- Do they follow safe painting practices?
- Do they follow manufacturer’s recommendation or specification?
- Do they follow industry standards?
Trust and Confidence
- Do they provide written guarantees of their work?
- Do they provide references?
- Do they provide free estimates?
- Do they perform pre-job inspection and measure each task for accurate pricing?
- Do they have any certifications?
- Do they provide written contracts?
- Do they provide answers to all your questions?
- Do they respond to their phone calls?
- Are they a member of any association?
- Do they have any knowledge on color psychology?
- Can they suggest you on different color schemes?
Once you have all these questions answered, dig a little deeper when asking for references. Anyone can give you positive references. Get their last few projects details and get a couple of referrals from their clients too.
Things you should remember
You should get all your agreements and contracts in writing. If you feel the contract is too good to be true, there is something missing. Your contract should include everything, such as what are they painting, preparation details, paint colors will they use on different parts of the house, how are they going to protect your valuables and plants, how much time will they take to finish the task, how and when you are going to pay them, Etc.
You should compare each and every detail between different painting contractors. Don’t believe everything they say, unless they give it to you in writing. All in all, you need to feel comfortable with your contractor you hired. Remember, when it comes to hiring a painting contractor, every little details matter; it’s not only about the price.