History Guy video focuses on historic Topeka homes – News – The Topeka Capital-Journal
Topeka banker and lawyer Hiram Price Dillon in 1911 arranged for an Italian Renaissance-style house to be built across the street just west of the Kansas Statehouse at 404 S.W. 9th.
Dillon then lived in that building, which now serves as an events center. It is among eight historic homes featured in this week’s History Guy video at CJOnline.
That video also features images of:
• The stately Landon Mansion, where former Kansas Gov. Alf Landon moved his family in 1938 after having it built just northwest of Gage Park at 521 S.W. Westchester Road. Guests there included President Ronald Reagan and his wife, Nancy Reagan, who visited in 1987 to help Landon celebrate his 100th birthday.
• Cedar Crest, the governor’s mansion for the State of Kansas, which was built in 1928 for Topeka State Journal publisher Frank MacLennan and his wife, Madge MacLennan. Frank MacLennan died in 1933. After Madge MacLennan died in 1955, the house was made available to serve as the governor’s mansion, which it became in 1962.
• A house built in 1926 that became known as the Fleming Mansion after it was bought by Ned Fleming, CEO of Fleming Mercantile Co. That building stood at the southwest corner of S.W. 10th and Gage Boulevard until it was moved in 2003 to its current site at 413 S.W. River Hill Drive.
• The Anton-Woodring house, 1011 S.W. Cambridge Ave., which was built in 1926 by Frederick Anton, who had established the Topeka Tent and Awning Company. It was later owned by Harry Woodring, a former governor of Kansas and U.S. Secretary of War.
• The Charles Curtis home at 1101 S.W. Topeka Blvd. Curtis served as this nation’s vice president from 1929 to 1933, and previously was a member of the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives.
• A house at 1272 S.W. Fillmore that was built in 1923 for Chester Woodward, who was vice president of the Central National Bank and Trust Company of Topeka.
• A house in southeast Topeka’s Highland Park community near St. Matthew’s Catholic Church, which was the home of J.R. Burrow, president of Central National Bank.