Worker electrocuted to death in Santa Paula


Here are some key tips to avoid a fire at your home.

Authorities are investigating an incident involving a worker who died Tuesday night in Santa Paula after suffering electrocution injuries.

An employee of Mike’s Handyman Service was fatally electrocuted on the job, according to Frank Polizzi, a spokesperson for the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The incident was reported at 6:37 p.m. in the 1200 block of Say Road, according to the Ventura County Fire Department. 

Fire crews arrived to find the electrocution victim who was pronounced dead at the scene.

More: 1 trapped in crash involving pickup, big rig outside Santa Paula

The contractor was performing work in the attic related to the repair of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system, when he came into contact with an exposed wire, according to James Mason, the director of Community and Economic Development for the city of Santa Paula. 

“It could have happened to anyone,” Mason said. “He was up there in a dark space.”

Mason called it an unfortunate cautionary tale for contractors and homeowners. 

“Anything like this is an opportunity for lessons learned and a life saved,” Mason said. 

OSHA was notified and arrived on scene to begin investigating the incident, according to Polizzi. The process could take up to six months, by law, according to Polizzi.

Santa Paula police officers also responded to the scene. 

In 2018, 29-year-old Eduardo Sampayo Jimenez was electrocuted to death while trimming a palm tree in Camarillo.

Star reporter Joe Curley contributed to this report. 

Jeremy Childs is a breaking news and public safety reporter covering the night shift for the Ventura County Star. He can be reached by calling 805-437-0208 or emailing [email protected] You can also find him on Twitter @Jeremy_Childs.

Read or Share this story:

Source Article